Free Tax Help

VITA: Volunteer Income Tax Assitance

Free tax preparation is now available for low to moderate-income individuals and families through the VITA program! VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) is an IRS program that provides free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to those who make $64,000 or less, who have disabilities, are elderly, or are limited English-speaking taxpayers.

Assistance is provided at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, and other convenient locations. Community Partnership for Families and Stanislaus State's Stockton Campus are locally leading the VITA efforts by holding tax preparation assistance at their centers. They are continually seeking help from individuals interested in becoming IRS-certified VITA volunteers. If you are interested in supporting their efforts as a volunteer, please e-mail


Find a VITA Site Near You

See below for a directory of all VITA sites in San Joaquin County. Please call to schedule and appointment ahead of time unless the site has walk-in availability.

VITA Site Locations & Contact


Free Tax Software

If you make less than $66,000 and are confident in your computer skills or would like to file your taxes from the comfort of your own home, you can file your taxes for free online! The IRS offers a Free File option that is accessible through There, you are given two options: to file on your own or with a virtual assistant's help. Visit to learn more on how you can self-file.


Let’s Talk Tax Credits

Doing your taxes is already hard enough and searching for additional tax credits to apply for is another task to pile onto your to-do list during the tax season. Below is a list of tax credits that United Way of San Joaquin County encourages you to apply for!

Tax Credit Guide

ITIN or SSN: Which Do You Need?

Sometimes these details can get confusing. See below for a brief explanation of the difference between the Individual Tax Identification Number and the Social Security Number.


Individual tax identification numbers are like social security numbers. Both are needed to pay income taxes, and both forms of identification act to connect individuals with their financial history. There are differences, though. An ITIN is needed by any non-citizen earning an income in the U.S. and responsible for filing taxes. While an SSN is required for any citizen (over the age of 18) and authorized permanent residents that gain an income and pay taxes in the U.S.

Additional Tax Resources

Looking for more information to prepare for tax season? See below for some additional resources that you might find useful.

    Tax Information Sheet






    Tax Checklist




    Medical Expenses You Can Write Off

 Click Here to Download


    The Facts About ITIN

 Click Here to Download